"FrameMaker has detected a problem and must quit" Really?!

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Tue Feb 19 10:35:03 PST 2013

About the network switch over. We have just done that and how well
applications play depends upon what protocols and configurations are set
up, and how switches are managed (oh so many variables).

Certainly, when we had Novell (which served well for decades) it had an
annoying habit of resetting SMB connections periodically (atalk was
dropped a few years prior). The new MS network doesn't seem to do that,
or if it does, it seems to be masked.

I would suggest that if you have any issues after the switch, that you
communicate your concerns immediately with the tech guys because there
may be a fix they can offer.

One thing that can be ruled out as the problem is FM.

Alan

On 19/02/13 10:40 AM, rebecca officer wrote:
> Hi Gary
> That's interesting. It sounds very like the problems we've seen: 3000+
> page docs, lots of conditional text, sometimes can't create a PDF over
> the network.
> We're using a Novell server. Our IS team have checked for choke points,
> overloading etc, and can't find any problems. They reckon it's just
> Novell. We're going to be changing to a Microsoft server anyway, and
> they reckon that'll be happier with Frame. I hope they're right!
> Like you, we've "resolved" the issue by copying all the components to a
> local drive before creating the PDF. We're ok with having to do that
> part of the workflow locally, as long as we can keep editing the source
> files over the network.
> Cheers
> Rebecca
>
>--