Frame versus XSL-FO

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Tue Feb 26 10:31:30 PST 2013

Hi Ed...

If your PDF layout requirements are very simple, XSL-FO *may* be a good
option for you. However producing two 1000-page publications once a year
doesn't seem like it's worth the cost of implementing an FO-based
publishing workflow, considering the fact that you've already got a
perfectly good PDF publishing engine, and (it sounds like) the
knowledge/inclination to make it work (FrameMaker).

In my opinion, FO is good for high volume and moderate to low PDF
formatting requirements. Yes, you can make it do most of what you can do
with Frame, but it'll require a huge amount of coding and effort. I have
seen people spend well over $200K on FO development over many years to
achieve moderate looking PDFs. Something that might take a week to
develop with FrameMaker. The big thing that FO brings to the table is a
simplified publishing pipeline. Implementing an automated XML+FM-based
publishing workflow requires a bit more effort than a comparable
FO-based workflow .. but in my opinion the PDF quality and the ability
to easily make formatting adjustments to the FM-based process makes it a
much better solution in most cases.

However, if you're just producing two 1000-page publications each year,
you don't need an automated solution, so the rationale for FO would be
reduced.

FO does also offer benefit if you're publishing to many (20+) languages,
because managing FM templates/apps for many languages can be tedious
(although I've got one client who is using DITA-FMx [the DITA+FM
solution I offer] to publish to 27 different languages).

XSL-FO is a very complex language to learn and develop .. probably the
most difficult I've encountered. People often head down the FO path
because it's "free" (but no). First, you'll start with the default
transforms provided with the DITA-OT .. this provides a very rough proof
of concept .. sure, you'll get PDFs, but they are really ugly. So you
start tweaking the FO code. Then you end up paying someone else to tweak
the FO code .. more and more .. and finally get to something that looks
acceptable. As long as your formatting requirements don't change, you're
OK, but if you need to move a header or change a font, you'll probably
need to hire that developer to tweak your code again.

With FM, you may need to hire someone to set things up (maybe not if
you've got the expertise), but once it's set up, you'll be able to go in
and tweak the templates or EDD as needed. Also, with FM you have access
to the intermediate file (post rendering and pre-publishing), in case
you need to make a manual adjustment. With FO, you're stuck if something
doesn't render properly. You either have to weak the FO code more and
hope it works, or just accept the formatting deficiency.

As you can see, this is something I feel quite passionate about. I may
be a little biased, but I try to remain open minded, and do know that FO
is a good solution for some situations. I don't think it's a good
solution for you, but you may want to travel that path for a bit to see
for yourself.

Cheers!

...scott

Scott Prentice