why is FM's UI so weird and buggy?

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 07:25:34 PST 2013

I can understand that Adobe tries to have the same consistent UI across all
its products. And yes, we all go with the flow as software and UIs evolve,
so I have grown accustomed to the new "look", but my main concern is
productivity. Each new version of FrameMaker seems to require more clicks
to get something done:

   - Click Apply (hate that button)
   - Close pods/panels/consoles
   - More submenus (e.g. Table > Format > ...)
   - Slower, longer or broken "shortcuts": F9, F8, CTRL+1... To see a
   master page in Fm 10, it takes ALT+v+m; in Fm 11 this takes ALT+v+m+m+ENTER.
   - "Are you sure you want to reset this workspace to its original
   layout?" Sure I am, why do you think I chose the Reset Workspace command?
   - Preferences > Interface > "Use GreyScale Application Icon". Huh?
   Really? I guess/hope this is some kind of easter egg?

I hope Adobe will pay some more attention to this for the next (patch)
release.

Cheers

Yves