why is FM's UI so weird and buggy?

Karen Robbins karendesign at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 11:14:08 PST 2013

I don't think Adobe's UI work has anything to do with Macs. In fact,
it seems to be the antithesis of Mac UI design! :-)

Recent/current versions of FM's UI (and those of other Adobe
products) apparently do not make comprehensible use of usability
research! The complaints I read on this list frequently point to how
the bad UI interferes with and requires extra steps to workflow. For
the complex projects of Adobe's target FM users, one would think that
exceptionally efficient and intuitive workflow would be demanded and
required. From a user's standpoint, consistency at the expense of
usability is, at best, ineffective.

As long as we keep using this (and all) Adobe products--and do so
without creative and instructional criticism, their UIs will continue
to be designed ineffectively. Only when users speak up with voices
and dollars [insert your local currency here] is there a chance for
the UI to improve.

--Karen