Using PDF for context-sensitive help

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Mon Jan 7 12:31:37 PST 2013

Peggy,

You wrote:

> I'm thinking you all may be right about Timesavers, I think my predecessor
did have it installed

> so maybe he was using it for the target markers. I see a lot of target
destinations in the PDF,

> here are a few examples:

> G3.1069777

> G9.1164423

> I7.1.1246871

> M11.9.23100.figurecaption.FIGURE.88.Modify.Log.Properties.Form

> M8.9.82569.Heading2.6134.Configuration.Guidelines

> P.250

> F4

These destinations are typical destinations present in PDFs generated from
FrameMaker -- for paragraphs, markers, pages.

With TimeSavers, you can optionally have a prefix in "newlink" hypertext
markers, so that the variable m8.newlink / mX.8.newlink prefix is not
present in the PDF.

For example, newlink TMS StartingPoint will result in a "clean"/consistent
StartingPoint named destination in the PDF.

See http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF12.html for more information /
examples.

> Looks like it's Timesavers version 5.5. I attempted to install it when I
upgraded to FM 9;

> I see the Timesavers menu when I have an individual file open but not with
just a book file,

> I'm not sure if that's right or not. I haven't had time to devote to
learning Timesavers yet, unfortunately.

Indeed, the TimeSavers menu is present only at the document level, not when
the focus is in a book file. This does not affect functionality/processing
in any way. When you Save as PDF or distill with Distiller settings that
activate TimeSavers, its various functions are applied automatically as part
of the distilling.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any TimeSavers-related issue. As
needed, we can hold a brief web session to discuss/troubleshoot further.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com

FrameMaker/Acrobat/Captivate training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants