Postcripted FrameMaker 8 Colors Converting from Spot Colors to CMYK

George, Brenda (CAI) BGeorge at federatedinv.com
Wed Jan 9 07:13:22 PST 2013

I am working with Structured FrameMaker 8 files in which all of the colors are set as spot colors. Some of the spot colors in a postscripted FrameMaker 8 file processed as CMYK files when the postscripted version of the file was sent to the print vendor yesterday. This did not occur with past postscripted files that have been sent to the print vendor. The postscript files are generated directly from FrameMaker files. The final FrameMaker files are created by flowing an xml feed into a Structured FrameMaker template. This process is performed every 3 months. In the past the print vendor has had no issues with the colors in the postscripted files. I have compared the FrameMaker color definitions in the FrameMaker files processed 3 months ago with the color definitions in the FrameMaker files processed yesterday. I'm not seeing any differences in the color definitions in FrameMaker.

We recently upgraded our Adobe Acrobat and distiller to version 10.1.3. I was told that the postscripting process does not utilize Adobe Acrobat and distiller, so the color issue would not be tied into this upgrade.

I needed to update some text on the FrameMaker template for this quarter, so the new FrameMaker files were generated from this revised template. I did not modify color in the template, so I am not certain that the modified template is the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be creating this color conversion issue?

Brenda George
Desk: (724) 720-8491
bgeorge at federatedinv.com

Unless notified to the contrary by the sender, the recipient should
consider the contents of this message including any attachments to
be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient and have
received this message in error, please contact Federated Investors
immediately by forwarding this email to notify at federatedinv.com and
then delete this message from your system. Saving, copying or
disseminating an inadvertently received email could violate state
and Federal privacy laws. All emails received by or sent from
Federated may be provided to regulators or law enforcement
agencies, or used for other purposes consistent with Federated's
business interests. Thank you for your cooperation.