Make files open in correct version

Fri Jan 11 06:53:54 PST 2013

Karen Robbins wrote:

> I'm using a virtual Windows 7 machine (via Parallels), where Windows
> and Mac share everything--it's supposed to be seamless. If I double-
> click on these files from within the Windows Explorer, they now open
> with v11; but when I do it from the Mac desktop, they still try to open
> with v9.

That's not a bug, Karen, it's a feature! :-)

> On the Mac I can, of course, change the default app with which a file
> should be opened... but I must either change ALL files with the same
> suffix or change each one individually. At this point in the
> transition, I want to change no more than a batch at a time (the
> project currently in progress, for example). I'd hate to accidentally
> change something from a still-older-version that could possibly lose
> something in translation; and I do not relish the idea of changing
> everything one at a time. :-(

Presumably, the current project is a book or books, not just a disparate collection of files. So just start FM 11, then use File > Open to open the book you want to work on, and then open the files in the book by double-clicking them in the book window.

I hardly ever open an FM file from the OS, and I don't even have two OSes to keep track of. ;-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom