dual monitor serup ? - Frame-10

Dennis Brunnenmeyer dennisb at chronometrics.com
Fri Jan 11 14:16:44 PST 2013

Assuming you have a desktop PC that accepts option cards, what you should
get is a compatible "dual-head" graphics card such as the NVIDIA Quadro FX
3450, which has DVI (digital video interface) outputs. As I recall, your
workstation needs PCI-e slot for this card. A matched pair of intermediate
resolution LCD displays with a DVI connector is a good bet for text
editing. Note that all LCD flat panel displays perform best if driven at
their native resolution. (The higher the resolution, the smaller the text
will appear. High resolution is good for editing graphics but then text is
likely to be sub-optimal both in size and readability. (In a nutshell, the
pixel information array generated by the graphics card should match the
pixel array on the display, giving a one-to-one mapping of generated
pixels to the pixels on the screen.)

It's also advantageous to have LCD displays that can be physically rotated
90° for a portrait view as an option in addition ton landscape when you're
working on pages in a document. Wide-screen displays are common and about
all you can find in stores, but I've never seen one that can be rotated.
My favorite displays are out-of-production Samsung SyncMaster 204B models.
They have a 4:3 aspect ratio and can be put in either landscape or
portrait orientation. Their native resolution is 1600 x 1200, too high for
my liking but they display text reasonably well at 1280 x 960 settings on
the graphics card.

Use matched monitors, regardless, if you want the best results.

Dual displays are really the only way to go if you have the desk space to
put two of them side-by-side. Once you start using them, you'll wonder why
you didn't do it sooner.

Dennis Brunnenmeyer
Cedar Ridge Systems
Grass Valley, CA