dual monitor serup ? - Frame-10

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Fri Jan 11 18:28:47 PST 2013

Hi, Richard.

I have a dual LCD monitor setup and it works _very_ well for this purpose. At work, I use a Lenovo laptop with a docking station, connected to two 24" Dell 2407 LCD monitors. Both with DVI connections running at 1920 x 1200 resolution each - in my older laptop setup, I had one DVI and one Analog, and that worked well too.

If you have a desktop computer, many graphics card support dual-monitors easily - my home PC has two DVI connectors on a single graphics card (a Zotac nVidia card of some sort, as I recall).

In Windows, setting up for using dual monitors is easy - then any application can use part of one monitor, all of one monitor, or both. With FrameMaker, the "tools" in FM 10 and 11 can be dragged off onto the second monitor. When you exit the program, the next time FrameMaker starts up, it uses dual monitors the same way, with the locations of the tools on the different screen.

BTW, at work, my two Dell LCD monitors are mounted on a single base with dual arms (I can provide the link of what I bought at Amazon for this if you want), but this is not a requirement  - you can simply place them side by side. I angle both a bit inwards (which still touching in the middle) to see them relatively "straight on" from where I sit.

An aiside: stretching an Excel spreadsheet across _both_ monitors is very useful for wide spreadsheets - the gap in the middle due to the LCD monitor edges is a _minor_ problem (less so with some monitors than others), but the content is still quite visible across that middle section, and the benefit _more_ than outweighs this minor issue.

Good luck with it. It is easy to set it up and well worth the relatively minor effort to do so.