Unavailable Fonts Error: Save to .ps, but...

Karen Robbins karendesign at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 14:57:18 PST 2013

Saving to Postscript and distilling does work,
but I did see a "can't open [thisfilename].fm"
message at the bottom of the book window beneath
the list of pages. The file did open, .ps file
was created correctly, distilled correctly.

I thought the "save as PDF" function in FM11 (my
current version) had evolved beyond being so
troublesome.

Would still love to know a functional solution.

Unchecking "Remember missing font names"
preference had no effect. I believe in older
versions of FM this had to be done for every
file; but I don't see that in FM11. In any case,
only this file as part of the book generated the
error, and only this file is named in the error
message. Saving the book to PDF without this file
does not generate the error. This file DOES
convert to PDF by itself, no problem at all.

Deleting unused formats in this file from the
Paragraph Catalog and the Table Catalog does not
prevent the book error, "Could not open
[thisfilename].fm, because it uses unavailable
fonts," on saving as PDF.

Doing the same from the Character Catalog still
leaves a "default ¶ font" that cannot be removed
(or modified from the user interface at least). I
presume that default contains the missing but
unused Times font.

In a copy of my file, I inserted one of each
table default format (A and B), changed the fonts
from Times to what I wanted and clicked "update
all" each time, saved the file. Then I opened my
actual file, imported the formats from the copy,
saved. Tried to save as PDF--and got the same
error. Maybe the changes made in the copy don't
stick, or maybe they won't import to another
file. Either way I'd be stuck doing this over and
over--no help to workflow. Note: Times appeared
in gray in the Paragraph Designer font pull-down,
so I am fairly confident it is the culprit.

If modifying the "custom" program file only works
on new docs, that won't help... this project is
based on established files and templates.

I have other versions of Times so I have no need
for the missing one, unless it is essential to
FM's operation. At least one of those other
versions appears in reference pages (mapping
table cells, etc.), but plain Times does not.

--Karen