Cleaning Character Formats

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 13:35:36 PDT 2013

And as of Frame 10, you can also search for Character Format Override and
Paragraph Format Override, so you don't even need to search for a specific
tag.

If you do search for a specific tag, remember that the first time you find
it, you can reapply the tag to clear the override, then Copy Special the
Character Format and do a search and replace for the rest of the book.

HTH,

Lin

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Mike Wickham <info at mikewickham.com> wrote:

>  If I'm reading your message right, you should be choosing "Character
> Tag:" in the Find dialog, rather than a "Character Format." The former
> searches for text with the assigned character style. The latter finds text
> with specific attributes, which may or may not have been assigned a
> character style.
>
> Mike Wickham
>

> On 7/9/2013 2:15 PM, Karen Robbins wrote:
>
> I want to remove rogue character formats and replace them with correct
> ones. I've used Character Tools to generate a list of formats by file so I
> know which ones are in each document of my book. I choose "Character
> Format..." in the Find/Change palette, type the character format name in
> the entry field, check the "Consider Case" checkbox, check the "Document"
> radio button to check only the open document, and click "Find."
>
> Usually, the "Find Character Format" dialog appears. I can't possibly
> remember all the properties I assigned to every format I created, and
> certainly wouldn't know the properties of a rogue or legacy style that I
> didn't create. I just want to find the format by the name assigned to it.
> Shouldn't those names appear in the scrollable entry field of the
> Find/Change palette, the same way paragraph styles do? (Not even default
> character styles show up.) Must I generate a long CT report on all styles
> to get the properties to complete this dialog?
>
> If I close this dialog and try again, a "Specify the character format to
> find" alert appears.
>
> My documents have only an A flow. I doubt the character format I'm looking
> for would be on a master page. Even if a style or two were in an unanchored
> box, for example, that doesn't explain all styles not being available or
> found.
>
> I'm sure this is a case of user error. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Karen

> Send administrative questions to listadmin at frameusers.com. Visithttp://www.frameusers.com/ for more resources and info.

> or visit