Custom Ruling and Shading of Tables via xml and EDD rules

Roger Shuttleworth shuttie27 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 01:05:18 PDT 2013

Hi Ed

I suspect your problem arises because you have not distinguished
carefully between HTML and XML. The class attribute of HTML/CSS has no
specific meaning in XML, which by its definition allows you to use
elements and attributes of your own defining.

So to address your question and give some pointers:

Table, row, and cell properties are mapped from XML to FrameMaker (and
back) using XML attributes and read-write rules. There are no EDD rules
to handle these things. What you need to do, assuming you are not using
a standard DTD in which much of the work is done for you, is:

1. Define the XML attributes that you will use, and their possible
values. If you are using DITA or another standard DTD, they are already
defined and you can read about them in the DITA (or other) Language
Reference.

2. Identify which FrameMaker property corresponds to each XML attribute.
For example, you may have an attribute called "align" for a table cell.
This would correspond to a specific FM property that defines the
alignment of text in a table cell. You can find out the names of the FM
properties in the "Structure Application Developer's Guide" which is
available from the Adobe website. They are very specific. (Sorry, I
don't have access right now to specific information.)

3. Identify which XML attribute values correspond to which specific FM
property value. Again, the values are given in the SADG and are very
specific.

4. Write read-write rules that map the attributes and their values to
the FM properties and their values.

As an example, you may like to study the read-write rules that come with
the DITA XML application (in the FM installation\structure\xml\DITA\app
folder and its subfolders. I believe there are examples in there that
will give you the idea.

Writing read-write rules is the most challenging part of creating a
structured application (IMHO), because they have to be exactly right and
the exact syntax is not always easily found. So you will need to persevere.

I hope this gives you some ideas. Bottom line: define these things in
the RWR, not in the EDD.

Roger

Repatriated to the UK