Setting up files for structured use

Dave.Stamm at gdc4s.com Dave.Stamm at gdc4s.com
Tue Jul 16 07:22:00 PDT 2013

2013-07-16-02T13:20Z

I need help setting up files for structured use by four persons.  Since the last time I set this up, the versions of the operating system, FrameMaker, and Acrobat have changed.

Windows 7 Enterprise operating system
FrameMaker 11.0.2.384 (stand-alone) installed on workstation
	Colleagues have FrameMaker 11 out of Technical Communication Suite installed on their workstations
Acrobat XI Pro 11.0.1 installed on workstation
.book file and its children on a server on the local area network

I believe that I need to set up \ maker.ini and \ structapps.fm to facilitate alternately using two versions of one standard.

I know that, in \ maker.ini, I can specify _one_ folder that contains \ structapps.fm, the "rules" file, the .dtd and the transformation files.  If I specify a folder other than \ Structure in its default location, I want the \ structapps.fm, the "rules" file, the .dtd, and the transformation files to be on a server on the local area network.  This works for using only _one_ version of the standard.

I need to set up to alternately use _two_ versions of the standard.

I know that, in \ structapps.fm, in the structured applications, I can specify various paths to different versions of the of the "rules" file, the .dtd, and such.

Unfortunately, with the "rules" file and the .dtd on a server on the local area network, more often than not, FrameMaker complains that it cannot read the "rules" file.  I have ensured that:

   1.  In the structured application, the path to the "rules" file is correct.

   2.  For the "rules" file and the folder containing it, the check box for attribute "Read-only" has no check mark.

It seems as though I could set up to alternately use _two_ versions of one standard by editing \ maker.ini and having two versions of it to specify different locations on the server for the "structure" files.  When needing to change from one version of \ maker.ini to the other, I'd have to rename both to ensure that only _one_ is present.  This seems cumbersome (and a bit dangerous).

I hope that I'm missing something truly obscure (or even obvious) and that there's an easier way to be flexible and to work faster, better, and cheaper.

Help, please.

¡Thanks!
Dave Stamm
Information Engineer