Setting up files for structured use

Matt Sullivan matt at mattrsullivan.com
Tue Jul 16 09:18:06 PDT 2013

-Matt

Matt R. Sullivan
co-author Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11
P: 714.798.7596 | C: 714.585.2335 | matt at mattrsullivan.com

@mattrsullivan LinkedIn facebook mattrsullivan.com

On Jul 16, 2013, at 7:22 AM, <Dave.Stamm at gdc4s.com> wrote:

> I believe that I need to set up \ maker.ini and \ structapps.fm to facilitate alternately using two versions of one standard.
Although you can customize some of your settings, there's no inherent need to modify the maker.ini to do what you describe.

With Fm11, there are now 2 copies of the maker.ini (userdata directory and install directory) and 2 copies of the structapps file (local and global, both available from the Structure menu in Fm11), and I'm betting you're getting snarled in the combinations of these files.

I suggest you start with a fresh install of Fm11 to see if you can get everything working without modifying the maker.ini, and then proceed to the existing installs.

> I know that, in \ maker.ini, I can specify _one_ folder that contains \ structapps.fm, the "rules" file, the .dtd and the transformation files.  If I specify a folder other than \ Structure in its default location, I want the \ structapps.fm, the "rules" file, the .dtd, and the transformation files to be on a server on the local area network.  This works for using only _one_ version of the standard.
>
> I need to set up to alternately use _two_ versions of the standard.
>
> I know that, in \ structapps.fm, in the structured applications, I can specify various paths to different versions of the of the "rules" file, the .dtd, and such.
>
> Unfortunately, with the "rules" file and the .dtd on a server on the local area network, more often than not, FrameMaker complains that it cannot read the "rules" file.  I have ensured that:
>
>   1.  In the structured application, the path to the "rules" file is correct.
>
>   2.  For the "rules" file and the folder containing it, the check box for attribute "Read-only" has no check mark.
Fm11 is probably are not properly "reading" your structapps file, and doesn't yet "see" what you think it does.

> It seems as though I could set up to alternately use _two_ versions of one standard by editing \ maker.ini and having two versions of it to specify different locations on the server for the "structure" files.  When needing to change from one version of \ maker.ini to the other, I'd have to rename both to ensure that only _one_ is present.  This seems cumbersome (and a bit dangerous).

You can set up as many structured applications as you like, and they'll all work properly, as long as Fm11 "knows" which ones you want to use.