Mysterious Color9 being added to FrameMaker files

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 10 07:46:15 PDT 2013

At 14:29 +0000 10/6/13, Fei Min Lorente wrote:

>We're using structured FrameMaker, and we do import XML files sometimes, but these aren't one of them. However, he does sometimes copy bits from Outlook, other FrameMaker files, or the PDF review copy which has reviewer's markups on it. Would any of these be a possible source of the mysterious Color9?

Possibly from Outlook - 'Color9' sounds like the usual useful Microsoft style of nomenclature - definitely from other FrameMaker files, unlikely from PDF.

I find SiliconPrairie's Color Tools plugin to be indispensable in these sorts of cases, and especially so when you get 'color explosions' for no apparent reasons, or when an author sends a FrameMaker book that contains hundreds of unused color definitions (yes, this happened, and 'hundreds' isn't an exaggeration).

>From their website:

'Color Tools provides additional capabilities for working with color definitions in FrameMaker documents. As a documentation set ages, it tends to get polluted with color definitions that are not used. This was especially true with earlier versions of FrameMaker that defined colors for 8-bit PNG (Portable Network Graphic) files. Color Tools can help. Its capabilities include listing colors defined and removing non-list colors from Frame documents. It also contains a routine that generates a report listing the colors defined in a document.'

<http://www.siliconprairiesoftware.com/Downloads.html>

--
Steve [Trim e-mails: use less disk, use less power, use less planet]