Problem Proof Printing Grayscale Photos

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Wed Jun 19 06:57:08 PDT 2013

See if changing this setting helps: Right-click on your printer, choose
Printing Preferences, then Color Options tab, then Advanced Options
button. Check "Use Pure Black."  (You can also set this via Printer
Properties> Advanced> Printing Defaults> Color Options> Advanced
Options, which might be the way to set it permanently. I don't remember.)

Here's from Xerox help:
Advanced Options Dialog Box

  * sRGB Neutral Grays: Select how the printer creates black and grays
    when using an sRGB color correction:

      o Automatic Black: Only uses black toner or ink for black and gray
        text and line art. Uses composite black for the black and gray
        portions of photos and images.
      o Use Pure Black: Only uses black toner or ink for black and gray
        portions of photos, images, and text.
      o Use Composite Black: Always uses composite black (a mixture of
        cyan, magenta, and yellow toner or ink) for the black and gray
        portions of text, line art, photos, and images.

Mike Wickham