Strange Happenings with Reference Pages

Harro de Jong Harro.deJong at triviewgroup.com
Tue Mar 12 02:59:12 PDT 2013

Karen Robbins wrote:

> I went into an older template file and wanted to try mapping some master pages, so I
> opened the reference pages. There is only one in this file--the footnote/lines
> reference page. What's even more odd is that many of the examples (Footnote and
> Hairline to name a couple) had at least 10 copies each of the example line! All sitting
> on exactly on top of one another.

Do those reference page frames all have tags? (select frame->Object properties)
You can't create two reference page frames with the same tag (according to my quick test, at least).
This means your paragraph format will pick up the information from one frame only. So the reference page may be a mess, but it shouldn't affect the formatting of your body pages.

> And since there doesn't appear to be a reference pages mapping table, is it
> reasonable to copy the master pages from my old template file into a new document
> (that does have all the default reference pages and thus includes the
> UnstructMasterPageMaps table)?

That should work, yes.

Harro de Jong
Triview