Straight-through numbering in FM book

Wed Mar 13 15:26:49 PDT 2013

Nancy Allison wrote:

> I've switched from chapter numbering to straight-through numbering in a
> FrameMaker document. I'm using FM 10 in a Win 7 environment.
>
> Dropping the <Chapnum> from the page number setup on the master pages was the
> easy part. Here is what I haven't been able to do:
>
> --Renumber figures and tables so they autonumber consecutively through
> multiple chapter files. They restart at 1 with each chapter. Even the
> FrameMaker-supplied Book template has this problem!

Matt provided the answer to this. Just a reminder: Set all numbering properties from the book window (with appropriate files selected), not in the chapter files.

> --Keep my cross-reference formats from breaking. Specifically, the hyperlink
> breaks. See "Figure 3-1" where "Figure 3-1" is a hyperlink becomes See
> "<Hyperlink> Figure 3-1." Why does changing the autonumber format affect the
> cross-reference?

I'm not sure what you're saying. But "<Hyperlink>" looks like a character format specified in the x-ref format definition. The only reason that would suddenly appear as text in your xrefs is if the Hyperlink character format no longer exists in the document.

> Please feel free to explain all this in detail, but also, please feel
> especially free to email me the autonumbering sequences that work for you for
> figures and tables!

For continuously numbered figures (once you set each chapter to continue paragraph numbering as Matt explained) not tied into any other numbering sequence, Autonumber Format can be quite simple:

	F:<n+>

Add whatever you want following the autonumber and before the caption -- colon and space, tab (\t), etc.

For tables, do the same thing, but with a different series label (F for figures and T for tables makes sense to me, but you can use what you please):

	T:<n+>

One other issue you're likely to encounter (if you haven't already) is the page numbering in generated lists (TOC, LOF, LOT, Index). For each of these, you'll have to remove the <$chapnum> variable (and whatever punctuation is associated with it and no longer needed) from the list specification in the reference pages.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.