Custom font renders different when saving as PDF vs print PS and distill

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Wed Mar 20 00:42:30 PDT 2013

Dov Isaacs wrote:

| The problem appears to be associated with not using the RGB option when
using
| the "save as PDF" option.

| When you don't use the RGB option, FrameMaker uses the old UNIX FrameMaker

| PostScript generator instead of using the Windows PostScript driver via
GDI.
| Apparently that UNIX PostScript generator code had some problems mapping
characters
| in Rick's symbol font. It could have been a missing mapping table in the
font itself.

Since this CMYK support was introduced in FrameMaker 9, it was associated
with various problems in PDF outputs (seemingly unrelated to color).

In FrameMaker 9 (with all patches applied), having the CMYK option on still
transforms the standard Arial Narrow and Arial Black fonts to Times New
Roman in PDFs, and Palatino Linotype text becomes ornaments. This specific
problem was experienced with FrameMaker 10 as well (or possible even 11)l,
but was likely addressed with later patches.

As a general practice with FM9 or later, unless you have a specific need for
CMYK PDFs (and take the time/effort to check the output), I highly recommend
turning ON "Convert CMYK Colors to RGB" in the Save as PDF dialog box (i.e.
have output generated in the FM8 or earlier mode).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://microtype.com

FrameMaker/Acrobat/Captivate training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants

Free half-hour webinars: FM Hypertext (March 20), Embedding Files in PDFs
(March 21)