Paragraph Formats Alternate Reality

Heiko Haida info at heiko-haida.de
Thu Mar 21 17:17:50 PDT 2013

Hi Nancy,

now I have been going through your little action list
again.

What could be crucial here, is to make sure that the para
format is exactly what you want to have in its "basic" definition.

So
for example you say:

4. Changed the color of Title to red.

Ok, you
changed the color - but where? This may somehow only produce an override
definition. You have to "apply to all" (I am sorry, I don't know what
this option next to "apply" is called in the English version). Because
only then you can be sure that also the basic definition of the Title is
affected and that you reimport the changed Title para (with red color
font). Else you would simply reimport exactly the same font definition
as you had imported into the Addformats file at first.

This may be a
point. What I do not understand, though, is why editing the mif did not
work, as Arial is installed on your system. You might check again how
Arial is exactly referenced in a mif (from a file where Arial is used) -
maybe Harro was right that simply replacing with "Arial" did not take.

Best wishes -

Tino H. Haida, Berlin

Nancy Allison:

> Hi, Tino.

> I can't supply the file, unfortunately, since my employer would
not allow it. Thanks for your willingness to help, though.

> --Nancy

> On 03/21/13, Heiko Haida<info at heiko-haida.de> wrote:
>
> Hi
Nancy,

> I repeated these actions with one of my files -
everything's ok and fine.

> I have FM 10 with all updates on Win XP.

> Could you supply the file?
>
> Best regards -
>
> Tino H.
Haida, Berlin

> Nancy Allison:
>
>> Hi, Harro.
>>
>> I finally
went manually through each paragraph format and changed the font from
TimesNewRoman to Arial and used Update All and that solved the problem.
The system does have Arial, and most of the paragraphs did not have
overrides.

>> I did a further test:
>>
>> For clarity: The file
that seems impervious to alterations to paragraph tags, whether through
.mif or Import, is ImperviousFile.

>> The file that I use for
creating and then exporting a clean paragraph tag is called AddFormats.
In other words, if I want to modify a paragraph tag in one or more .fm
files, I create the clean tag in AddFormats and then import it from
AddFormats into my .fm files.

>> In my test I:
>>
>> 1. Deleted
all paragraph tags from AddFormats.

>> 2. Successfully imported all
the paragraph tags from ImperviousFile.

>> 3. Deleted all paragraph
tags except Title from AddFormats. (This is the chapter title para tag.)

>> 4. Changed the color of Title to red.
>>
>> 5. Imported para
tags only from AddFormats to ImperviousFile.

>> Result: The chapter
title did not change color and the Title para tag did not change
attributes!

>> I have edited ImperviousFile and saved it, so it is
not locked.