global master page changes

Mon Mar 25 12:36:02 PDT 2013

Timothy DeWees wrote:

> I have a document that changes very frequently, sometimes every month. The
> client likes to have a "version" in the header, such as "March 2013 Version",
> "April 2013 Version," etc.  Is there a way to globally revise all of my master
> pages in the book from say March to April in the header title? I'm currently
> running FM10 and would prefer to do this without using framescript since not
> everyone working with these documents has framescript.  Thanks in advance for
> the help.

This is exactly the sort of thing for which variables exist.

1) Create a user variable named "Version" (Special > Variable > Create Variable) and set Definition to "April 2013 Version" (or whatever value you need at this time).

2) In the master pages of one of the book files, replace the typed-in values ("April 2013 Version" or whatever) with the new Version variable.

3) Import the updated master pages into all the other files in the book.

4) When it's time to produce the May 2013 version, change the definition of the Version variable in one file of the book.

5) In the book window, select all the other files in the book and import variable definitions (File > Import > Formats) from the file where you updated Version.

For each new version, just repeat steps 4 and 5.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.