importing HTML into FrameMaker?

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Sat May 4 01:54:14 PDT 2013

Hi Robert

I don't know which version of FrameMaker you are using, but Fm 11 has Smart
Paste:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/new-in-framemaker11-xml-authoring-features/framemaker-11-smart-paste-unstruct-content-into-xml/

If you are using DITA-FMx, you need to install this "structapps stub" first:

I've just tested this with some content which I copied from our Confluence
wiki and the results are not perfect but pretty good:

   - The DITA topic is valid right away (no cleanup of the structure
   required).
   - Subheadings in a wiki topic become section titles in a (generic) DITA
   topic.
   - A ul/li in the wiki topic is still a ul/li in the DITA topic.
   - Numbered steps in the wiki topic become ul/li in the DITA topic
   - Typographic elements (b, i, ...) are OK too

Graphics didn't work, but that's obvious. Tables were converted to tables,
but the heading row was gone.
Also, I used a generic DITA topic. Copying a task description from a wiki
and pasting the numbered steps into a task topic doesn't work, because the
structure a task topic has a very specific structure. I guess this could be
fixed with a "topic-to-task-topic" transformation, using a Framescript or
using FrameSLT).

Even if you don't write DITA-structured content, I think you could still
use DITA as an intermediate step:

   1. Create a new generic DITA topic
   2. Copy the body section if your wiki.
   3. Put your cursor in the body element of the DITA topic and choose *Edit
   > Smart Paste*.
   4. Choose *Special > Remove Structure from Flow* to create an
   unstructured Fm file.
   5. With Framescript or the Paragraph Tools plugin, you can then remap
   the paragraph formats, for example change all [title.1] formats to Heading2.

Cheers

Yves Barbion
www.scripto.nu