OT: Corporate madness - Adobe software to be subscription only

Matt Sullivan matt at mattrsullivan.com
Thu May 9 10:47:20 PDT 2013

Also, SaaS and subscription are different concepts.

SaaS (like SalesForce, Jira, BaseCamp, Web(prettymuchanything) and many others) are web portals where the computing occurs across a network.

Subscription means that you confirm your ability to run the software installed on (and processed on) your local machine. (Diety of choice) forbid you try and run Photoshop, Illustrator, or Captivate as SaaS!!

Since TCS followed Creative Cloud's (and thus Adobe's) lead in offering subscriptions, I'd say the writing's pretty much on the wall. However, given the amount of chatter devoted to bug fixes instead of bright shiny new (not terribly requested) new features, this might be the point where resources can be devoted instead to fixing those long-standing issues (pre-version 7!) that never rose to the level of importance given to new, profit-oriented version releases.

-Matt

Matt R. Sullivan
co-author Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11
P: 714.798.7596 | C: 714.585.2335 | matt at mattrsullivan.com

@mattrsullivan LinkedIn facebook mattrsullivan.com