Corporate madness - Adobe software to be subscription only

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Thu May 9 14:54:05 PDT 2013

This is not just a rumor I think ... it is mentioned on the Adobe web site for their CS tools (... have not seen anything for FrameMaker though). This may work for some (many?) corporate users, but as far as I am concerned, it is just one more nail in the Adobe tools coffin (for example, see my recent rant on their FrameMaker license maintenance policy change).

To me (and I emphasize I am only expressing my opinion and belief), it looks like Adobe is heading away from supporting their "smaller-entity" users (such as individual tech writers, graphics artists and consultants) for whom the cost of tools is an issue.

So we have to look for alternatives. For example, I now use Xara Photo and Graphic Designer instead of Adobe Photoshop (I stopped upgrading at version CS3). The good news is that there are less expensive, rational licensing, alternatives to many Adobe products. FrameMaker is one that may be more difficult to find an alternative for - I simply plan to never upgrade from version 11 again and just look for alternatives. I am even back to Word (eek!) for many shorter documents - my last five or six 10-20 page white-papers have come out reasonably well in Word! Where I used to fire up FrameMaker to do all writing, I find myself using Word more and more for trip reports, memos, white-papers, etc. And the experience isn't as bad as I was afraid it might be.

My bottom line is that a SaaS model is not an acceptable model for these kinds of tools.