FW: Corporate madness - Adobe software to be subscription only

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Thu May 9 10:24:36 PDT 2013

This is troubling, and so one message is "buy the CS software on CD/DVD
while you still can." A number of my friends, most connected with academic
institutions, are doing that.

I expect Adobe is attempting to have everyone on the same page as regards
these applications so that one set of help files defines the "current state"
of an application. This would help a lot in terms of expected outcomes when
using the product. However, it requires a constant state of reeducation as
new features are added and different ways of handling things are introduced.
Not that we don't have to deal with this already, but at least we know if we
do something in a given version, it is going to work in a way that we
already are familiar with.

As for extending this "the current version of the app" beyond the bounds of
the Creative Suite, I rather doubt that Adobe will do that anytime soon. If
they have their finger on the pulse of their users they must realized that,
for instance, in the medical device industry, all tools used to produce
documentation must be validated. It would be impossible  (and expensive!) to
validate a moving target as the apps were continually being improved and the
former version made unavailable.

Craig Ede