FW: OT: Corporate madness - Adobe software to be subscription only

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Thu May 9 10:25:37 PDT 2013

Actually, the right subscription model might appeal to many companies. It
can be cost effective for the company (a known monthly, smallish outflow of
cash), but is certainly harder on the user/contractor since they will be
more acutely aware of the fact that they are having to constantly
incorporate new functionality into their way of working (and excising old,
tried-and-true methods). It's difficult to juggle all that for the
contractor, but a company just sees the software as a single tool useful to
its goals that has a predictable cost.

If Adobe were to offer the software free to contractors who then end up
working for companies who are required to buy the software, that could
benefit us all. Oxygen has a license for academic users (relatively cheap)
that precludes them from using an academic copy to produce commercial work.
If they end up doing commercial work, they are required to buy the normal
license. This model allows them explore the product freely.

The vast majority of my work in the Adobe Technical Communication Suite is
related to the academic sphere. Yet when I work on-site for a business
client, their license is the one used for these commercial projects. This
allows me to keep on top of the product features and yet have (at least
through TCS 3) inexpensive access to the tools so that I am able to explore
the features of the tools. The abandonment of the academic license with TCS
4 was a loss in this regard.

Craig