OT: Corporate madness - Adobe software to be subscription only

Steve Johnson chinaski69 at gmail.com
Sat May 11 17:08:05 PDT 2013

That's some interesting points and some of them are probably partially
true. What you're saying basically is that Adobe blames its customers for
its relative low profit margins and share price. If only we were more
rational and obedient, Adobe would be better off.

You're side of the mark about resellers. Adobe locks down pricing and
availability of its software; you can't buy old versions of anything from
anybody ever and you can't get more than a few dollars of discount from
anybody. Having other people sell for you is generally a good thing. But
again, in the Adobe way of looking at things, what's good for the customer
is bad because customers always do the wrong thing.

Adobe is making this change in anticipation of other changes yet to be
announced. If you love the subscription model you'll love whatever else
they have in mind for you. It's a good time to be an apologist.

Steve Johnson, dr_gonzo at pobox.com