OT: Corporate madness - Adobe software to be subscription only

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Sat May 11 16:31:10 PDT 2013

On 12/05/2013, at 6:36 AM, Steve Johnson wrote:

> Almost everyone keeps ignoring the question of CHOICE. There's no
> doubt you can make a case for subscription but you can also make a
> case for getting the disks or downloading the software.
>
> Of what benefit to Adobe is depriving us to choose what we want? Why
> is mailing me disks for additional cost or providing a download bad
> for Adobe? Clearly it isn't. There is something else going on.
>
> Certainly Adobe will jack up the price of subscription. They might
> have other things in mind also but the point is, why make everyone
> adopt a model that doesn't benefit everyone? What's in it for Adobe?
> That's what I'd like to know.

Decreased cost for license management, increased cash flow through
subscriptions, constant income stream as opposed to periodic peaks
related to new product releases, increased profit margins, better
share value, regional price control and management (we typically pay
3x the US cost for the same software), better release management (no
more pesky resellers and middlemen), better profits from cutting out
middlemen and resellers, therefore even better share value, more
accurate profit forecasts at shorter time intervals, therefore even
better share value,...

Alan

--
AlphaByte