Corporate madness - Adobe software to be subscription only

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Mon May 13 08:40:02 PDT 2013

Here is my suggestion on where to start. I would like a light-weight editor
where the user could apply styles, insert tables, images, etc. The styles
would be mapped to a schema so that the user could output XML. Then a full
copy of FrameMaker could be used as "print engine". You would set up a
structured application in full FrameMaker, and import the XML for print,
etc.

The reasons I favor this approach:

1) FrameMaker is currently the best "print engine" on the market for
producing high-quality print/PDF output.

2) With a light-weight editor, you would only need one copy of FrameMaker
for output. The rest of the writers/editors could use the light-weight
editor.

3) You could easily exchange content with users of other XML editors as long
as everyone is using the same schema.

4) This is a realistic "first step" to a FrameMaker replacement. Anything
more complex may be too ambitious and not get too far.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
585-283-5045
rick at frameexpert.com