Corporate madness - Adobe software to be subscription only

Heiko Haida info at heiko-haida.de
Mon May 13 11:11:10 PDT 2013

Dear Rick,

please allow one note about the "print engine".

FrameMaker is still using the old Distiller engine (at least version
10 does).
I recently had to switch a workflow from Indesign to
FrameMaker and found it annoying that Indesign would produce a valid PDF
right away whereas with FrameMaker I have to correct all PDFs in Acrobat
to produce PDF/X3 with color profile and valid bleed box.
And as
transparency is not fully supported via the Distiller engine, the actual
PDF/X4 format cannot be produced (the favorite format for one of our
printing service companies).

So finally, I came to think that not
FrameMaker, but Indesign may have one of the best "print engines" - at
least more flexible and more up to date than FrameMaker's.

Best
regards -

Tino H. Haida, Berlin

Rick Quatro:

> Here is my
suggestion on where to start. I would like a light-weight editor
> where
the user could apply styles, insert tables, images, etc. The styles

would be mapped to a schema so that the user could output XML. Then a
full
> copy of FrameMaker could be used as "print engine". You would set
up a
> structured application in full FrameMaker, and import the XML for
print,
> etc.
>
> The reasons I favor this approach:
>
> 1) FrameMaker
is currently the best "print engine" on the market for
> producing
high-quality print/PDF output.

> 2) With a light-weight editor, you
would only need one copy of FrameMaker
> for output. The rest of the
writers/editors could use the light-weight
> editor.
>
> 3) You could
easily exchange content with users of other XML editors as long
> as
everyone is using the same schema.

> 4) This is a realistic "first
step" to a FrameMaker replacement. Anything
> more complex may be too
ambitious and not get too far.

> Rick Quatro
> Carmen Publishing