OT: Corporate madness - Adobe software to be subscription

Alastair Dent alastair.dent at imgtec.com
Wed May 22 00:53:57 PDT 2013

I believe this is the same in the UK.

-----Original Message-----
From: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com [mailto:framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of David Shaked
Sent: 21 May 2013 20:55
To: framers at lists.frameusers.com

An aspect I haven't seen mentioned in this thread: taxes

According to Israeli tax law, if I purchase a perpetual license for a software application, it's a capital expense. I have to depreciate the purchase over several years. I cannot deduct the full expense from this year's tax return.

If I pay a smaller fee for an annual subscription license, I not only smooth out the cost, but I can deduct the full amount in the current year.

Is the tax treatment the same in the US and other countries?

Truth in Advertising Disclosure: I am biased. I am a reseller for a software application that is sold mainly by subscription (WebWorks ePublisher). But I purchase other software by subscription, and I prefer it.

David Shaked (Wernick)

AlmondWeb Ltd.
http://www.almondweb.com
Technical Documentation * Web Development * Word and WebWorks Consultants