Choosing a Help Format

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Thu Nov 21 12:57:31 PST 2013

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 18:41:52 +0000, Fei Min Lorente <FeiMin.Lorente at onsemi.com> wrote:

>I've got documentation in structured FrameMaker 10 and Mif2Go. I've produced Eclipse Help routinely in the past, but for the first time, we're creating a user interface in Visual Studio. We want to integrate the Help so that a button or menu item in the UI will open a Help window, complete with a table of contents and search facility. An index would be nice, and context-sensitive links to the documentation would be nice, but are lower priority.

If you want it to run within VS, you have only one choice:
the current MS Help Viewer.  The support group for it is
<MSHelpViewer at yahoogroups.com>; Rob Chandler runs it.  We
have current customers producing it with Mif2Go.

More links to resources for it in the User's Guide,
par. 7.1.1, "Considering Help-system features".

And I wouldn't worry about OmniHelp "losing files", LOL!
That use of small files is what makes it way faster than
the alternatives.  None ever get lost.  ;-)

But really, Help Viewer is the only one that works within
VS as you want.  MS has made very sure of that.  <g>

  <jeremy at omsys.com>    http://mif2go.com/