Save as HTML in FrameMaker 11

John Sgammato john.sgammato at actifio.com
Sun Oct 20 17:55:34 PDT 2013

The FrameMaker Save As HTML feature is not very good and it is hardly
supported. They expect you to use RoboHelp or some other tool. Mif2Go is by
far your best choice, IMO.
One problem is that your FM headings, ordered lists, etc do not map
automagically to HTML tags, so you have to make that work somehow. Mif2Go
does a pretty good job of faking it from your FM formats, or you can map
them yourself.
Basically, going from FM to HTML is a non-trivial exercise:
* You can do it in FM, but FM does not support it natively very well at
all. Even their Support people don't know it.
* Mif2Go has a learning curve, but there are many people on this list who
can help you.
* RoboHelp is a good solution, if you have it.

How do you want to deliver the HTML? As an online help product? Or as
standalone HTML connected in some way to a knowledge base?

IMO you might do better to look into the PDF link problem. That may be
easier solved, but I know nothing about it. Good luck!

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Austin Meredith <kouroo at kouroo.info> wrote:

> **
>  I'm using FrameMaker 9 Unstructured with Windows 7 to generate PDFs for
> the internet, and I'm forever getting complaints from my users such as
> "Your live links simply don't function, with Safari on my iPad!"
>
>  Once upon a time I attempted to generate HTML output but the only result
> I was able to obtain, way back then, was unreadable garbage, unreadable
> garbage that at my skill level I couldn't figure out how to fix. What would
> probably be my experience *now* if I upgraded to FrameMaker 11 Unstructured
> and again attempted to "Save as HTML"? With the new software, would this
> now produce reasonable HTML output that I could then expect to be able to
> fine-tune? Or --my skill levels being as low as they are-- would I probably
> still find myself in that same fix?

> or visit
> http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/john.sgammato%40actifio.com

<http://www.actifio.com/>    *John Sgammato, Documentation Architect*
*e* john.sgammato at actifio.com  *c* 508.927.2083
*t* @actifiodocs <http://twitter.com/actifiodocs>

333 Wyman Street, Waltham, MA 02451
<http://twitter.com/actifio>
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/399246>
<https://plus.google.com/102870897962348937868/posts>
  <http://www.youtube.com/user/actifio>    <http://www.actifio.com/>

*Radically simple copy data management *

*.**
*