FrameMaker file deletion bug

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 05:19:38 PDT 2013

What it sounds like -- my first guess -- is that writers are moving files
between drives manually or using SaveAs to move files between local and
network drives OR they're adding local files to network books.

Certainly checking your network setup and file locking scheme withing FM is
required -- some writers may not have it turned on. But this isn't typical
behaviour and the most likely source is human error. Are you looking at the
file system to confirm that no files have network locks on them before
running your example procedures? Do you have a written procedure to check
things in and out?

But bottom line is you're a professional department so you should be using
some kind of source control to track versions and avoid this kind of stuff.
What are your engineers using for source control? I believe FM9 supports
Sharepoint out of the box, and it's better than what you've got. Subversion
(SVN) probably with a Tortoise front end, is free and reliable. Don't let
network costs and complexity hold you back...

Art Campbell
          art.campbell at gmail.com
  "... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and
a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
                                                      No disclaimers apply.
                                                               DoD 358

I support www.TheGrotonLine.com, hyperlocal news for Groton MA.