Version Control Suggestions

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 13 12:12:51 PDT 2013

MIF is the Framemaker text format. RCS or any other revision control system
can be used to store revision histories of Framemaker documents stored in
MIF. I wouldn't expect it to be very efficient in terms of space.

Companies I have worked with have routinely controlled FM documents in RCS
using scripts that utilized FM fmbatch to convert saved books to MIF check
them in and out of RCS. The time involved to run the scripts tiny, but the
storage use was large since MIFs are verbose and change many things beyond
the actual text in the document from save to save.

Craig