Word and Frame comparisons

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 26 11:03:16 PDT 2013

At 13:41 -0700 25/9/13, Alison Craig wrote:

>"Word isŠ (long pause), Word isŠ (another long pause). Word is for memos."

Ok, I cannot resist rising to this...

Quite a few years ago, I had to prepare some assembly instructions for a mineral ore separator. The client mandated Word, probably because it was the only document preparation program they had ever heard of.

The version of Word I was using had the interesting property of consigning diagrams that overflowed the page into some Byte World in the Sky: that is, as added text caused them to flow off the end of the current page, they failed to appear on the following page.

I had (gasp) paid support for this version of Word, so I rang Microsoft and explained the issue. After a long pause, the M$ support person said - and I am not making this up - "It sounds as if you are trying to do something that is too complex for Word [yeah, like words and pictures?] - have you thought of using FrameMaker?"

--
Steve [Trim e-mails: use less disk, use less power, use less planet]