Quoted speech

Klaus Daube frame at daube.ch
Sat Aug 2 12:22:13 PDT 2014

On 1 Aug 2014 at 13:50, Theresa de Valence wrote:

> They're not, they are single quotes at the beginning and end of speech vs
> American double quotes at the beginning and end of speech.

Theresa, discussion obviously has deviated. Hence I refer to Your original post as of
July 30:
> I'm used to replacing smart quotes with straight quotes in documents I
> receive but I've just received a document from an Australian writer, so
> dialogue is indicated with single curved apostrophes:
> U+02BB Modifier letter turned comma
> U+02BC Modifier letter apostrophe
-----
DecodeUnicode.org states about U+02B0 - U+02FF Spacing Modifier Letters:
The characters in this block are mainly accents, modifier letters, diacritics and
tone marks for the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA, previous block) and other
phonetic transcription systems.

U+02BB Used in Hawaiian, Tahitian, other Polynesian languages, but also in Uzbek.
U+02BC In English grammar, the apostrophe has three uses:
       1. to form possessives of nouns (Tom´s car)
       2. to show the omission of letters (don´t = do not, I´m = I am)
       3. to show some plurals of lowercase letters (like: p´s and q´s,
          but this rule really only applies to lowercase letters,
          no uppercase ones or any numbers).
       It should not be used with obsessive pronouns like his, hers, its, etc.
       because these already indicate a possession. Especially "its" and "it´s"
       get confused regularly, but it's is an abbreviation of "it is" and
       doesn´t mean "...of it"
-----
Hence: the use of the characters in question is "more then questionable".

Test in FM-120.2.389
- Format > Document > Text options: smart quotes OFF
- Inserted these characters in some text using copy from Win CharacterMap
  (tested, whether they have not been converted by FM to something else)
- In Find/Replace I have copied from doc to the Find field
  or inserted from Win CharacterMap
  In Replace I have inserted ESC," to get the straight quote
=> no problems with find or replace (all)
Saved as MIF
MIF opened in FM-10.0.3.419
=> no problems with find or replace (all)

So I cannot reproduce Your problems in getting rid of these 'strange' characters.
Klaus Daube