Getting a handle on structured Frame

Theresa de Valence TdeV at bstw.com
Wed Aug 13 08:33:40 PDT 2014

On 8/12/2014 3:11 PM, Scott Prentice wrote:
> Don't open any of them from the file system. You have two choices ..
> from the Structure Tools menu choose "Edit Application Definitions to
> edit your "local" structapps file (this is most likely what you should
> be using) .. OR .. from the Structure Tools menu choose "Edit Global
> Application Definitions". The app definitions in the "local" file are
> typically those that you create for your own use. The "global" app
> definitions are those for apps provided by Adobe.
>
> I recommend that people never modify the default apps .. either create
> your own from scratch (for advanced users only), or clone the default
> apps and give them a new name and modify those (the most likely
> scenario). You will mess up the apps (everyone does), and it's important
> to have the default unmodified apps to go back to for testing. In
> general you should be able to have all the apps "installed" and
> available for use at the same time.
>

>>> The structapps.fm file which I did open has 3 varieties of DocBook in it
>>> (SGML DocBook, XML DocBook, DocBook2.2.1). How do I choose which DocBook
>>> file to start with?
<snip>

> I'd start by using DocBook (or DITA) out of the box, totally unmodified.

Which one, SGML or XML?

> Get comfortable with that and then try making any needed modifications
> (after cloning the apps). You don't have to use the entire model, just
> use the bits that you need and ignore the rest. If you're just learning
> how this all works, starting off by trying to modify things is just
> going to cause huge amounts of grief.

Do I understand correctly that to clone the app, I "Edit Global
Application Definitions" then copy/paste the section of structapps.fm
with the Application name "DocBook" from the demarking line to the
demarking line (line across the page) and give it a new name like "TDocBook"

or is there more to it than this?
Do I also find the ..\docbook\app\ directories and copy contents to new
directories?

As for Entity locations Public ID and Filename (local), do I rename
these (in the cloned area) to reflect the new name and directories?

What else do I need to do?

Thanks very much,
Theresa