Getting a handle on structured Frame

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Tue Aug 12 13:11:32 PDT 2014

On 8/12/14 1:00 PM, Theresa de Valence wrote:
> On 8/12/2014 11:08 AM, Theresa de Valence wrote:
>> Frame 12 installed 13 versions of structapps.fm on my system, either
>> dated 12/5/2013 or the date I installed the program. There are 6 files
>> which are 282KB. How do I choose which file to open?
>
> Please answer?

Don't open any of them from the file system. You have two choices ..
from the Structure Tools menu choose "Edit Application Definitions to
edit your "local" structapps file (this is most likely what you should
be using) .. OR .. from the Structure Tools menu choose "Edit Global
Application Definitions". The app definitions in the "local" file are
typically those that you create for your own use. The "global" app
definitions are those for apps provided by Adobe.

I recommend that people never modify the default apps .. either create
your own from scratch (for advanced users only), or clone the default
apps and give them a new name and modify those (the most likely
scenario). You will mess up the apps (everyone does), and it's important
to have the default unmodified apps to go back to for testing. In
general you should be able to have all the apps "installed" and
available for use at the same time.

>> The structapps.fm file which I did open has 3 varieties of DocBook in it
>> (SGML DocBook, XML DocBook, DocBook2.2.1). How do I choose which DocBook
>> file to start with?
>
> I comprehend that several of you think I should start with something
> less complex than DocBook. There is an XML application called
> SelfPublish which has only 2 Doctypes: GeneralBook and Chapter. It has
> a location for DTD and template, but no read/write rules or entities
> (public ID).
>
> The problem with using the SelfPublish app is that I find it easier to
> remove what I don’t need than to create something which I don’t yet
> understand.
>
> If I modify one of these DocBook apps, can I disassociate _my_ DocBook
> from the public entities? If so, which should I choose?

I'd start by using DocBook (or DITA) out of the box, totally unmodified.
Get comfortable with that and then try making any needed modifications
(after cloning the apps). You don't have to use the entire model, just
use the bits that you need and ignore the rest. If you're just learning
how this all works, starting off by trying to modify things is just
going to cause huge amounts of grief.

Cheers,

...scott