Getting a handle on structured Frame (DITA)

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Wed Aug 13 14:45:48 PDT 2014

It sounds like you need to read up on the fundamentals of DITA. Would be
more informative than what you'll likely get from this list. This is a
good place to start ..

     http://dita.xml.org/book/dita-wiki-knowledgebase

Fundamentally, DITA is all about organizing your content in modular
chunks called topics. A "topic" may be a generic model called topic or a
more specialized (restrictive) model called concept, task, reference (or
other). You assemble topics (typically separate files, but you can have
single files that contain multiple topics) into hierarchies using a dita
map. You can further assemble hierarchies by having maps within maps ..
it all depends on how you want to arrange your content.

One option for the top-most map is to use a map type called "bookmap". A
bookmap can have special elements that define groups of topics as a
chapter, appendix, or part, and you can add frontmatter and backmatter
elements that contain elements that become your generated lists (toc,
indexlist, etc).

Within a topic you'll have a structure that provides for a title
(required), a short description (optional), some metadata (within a
prolog element), then a body element that contains the main content of
the topic. The markup within the body is very much like HTML, you'll see

Your best bet is to just use the New DITA File menu to create a new
topic (of any type) and give it a try. Don't worry about the actual
structured applications that are in use at this point, you're getting
way ahead of yourself.

The default setup in FM (since FM10) is to have separate apps for each
topic type. This more closely mirrors the official DTD structure, but
makes it much harder for FM users. Figure out which XML model you want
to use, then you can decide how (or if) you want to customize it.

Remember that with DITA (XML in general), you really shouldn't worry
about what the documents look like when you're authoring, you should
only care what they look like when published. So you should be able to
use the default apps and models exactly as they are, and just set up a
publishing process that applies the right templates and formatting.

Cheers,

...scott