Structured: about containers, other matter and chapter numbering

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Sun Aug 17 17:20:19 PDT 2014

I can't give advice on structured FrameMaker, but an easy way to make
the correct title appear on the running header of an unstructured book
is to use numbering properties. I assume the same applies to structured
books.

1. In the files' appropriate master pages, insert the <$volnum> variable
in the running header in a background text frame.
2. In the book file, select all files from one novella, then right-click
and choose Numbering Properties.
3. On the Volume tab, click the Volume # radio button. Enter your
novella title in the dialog box, and choose "Text" as the format. That's
right. Numbering does not have to be numbering. It can be static text.
4. Click set.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 for the files in the second novella.

A novella is the simplest kind of document. It is basically straight
text and not likely to have graphics, lots of variables,
cross-references, hyperlinks, etc. It's not likely to even have many
types of paragraph or character formats. I think setting it up as a
structured document is probably overkill and a lot of unnecessary work.
I would set it up using simple, unstructured documents, with properly
assigned paragraph and character formats.

Mike Wickham