Still stuck on Mif2Go, deadline approaching

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 13:42:26 PDT 2014

Hurrah John! ;-)

I have been following this thread with interest and sympathy, but have not posted because I know nothing about Mif2Go, having never used it.

However, as a 64,000-foot view of inexplicable problems, I would be inclined to *always* suspect AV software until it is proven innocent. I just wish I'd thought of it in this case.

For example, until now (FrameMaker 12/Win7/Parallels) my experience has been mainly of textbooks produced in FrameMaker 7 for Mac on an 11-year-old machine. On that Mac I have - had - an AV app running, and it *always* randomly interfered with FrameMaker's file saves. It wasn't a big issue, as it interfered with them non-destructively, blocking the deletion of the hex-numbered temporary file that FrameMaker produces (or produced in FrameMaker 7 for Mac) as part of the file save process. This regularly generated messages like 'File blah hex-blah has an unusual extent/is busy/cannot be deleted but file blah has been saved.'

Just why this happened is no longer important, but it's a hint that AV software tends to mess with stuff that OS and app developers maybe didn't expect to be messed with.

--
Steve