Persist a variable to the next file

john.x.posada at us.hsbc.com john.x.posada at us.hsbc.com
Tue Dec 9 14:08:05 PST 2014

Thanks, Fred...unfort., I already use those system variable.

John X Posada
AML Syst & Ops Supt Data Analyst | US FCC & RC Systems Control & Analytics
| HSBC North America Holdings Inc
330 Madison Ave., NY NY

 Phone
      Int: 212-525-5483 Ext: Personal cellphone - 732-259-2874
 Mobile
      Company Blackberry - 224-600-0570
 Email
      john.x.posada at us.hsbc.com

 Protect our environment - please only print this if you have
 to!

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Fred Ridder <docudoc at hotmail.com>                                                                                                                 |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Lin Sims <ljsims.ml at gmail.com>, John X Posada/HBUS/HSBC at HSBC02                                                                                    |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |"framers at lists.frameusers.com" <framers at lists.frameusers.com>                                                                                     |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |12/09/2014 02:38 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |RE: Persist a variable to the next file                                                                                                           |

There is another way to do it that doesn't use either a Running H/F system
variable or a cross-reference, but whether it can be used depends on
whether you are already using both the $volnum and $chapnum system
variables.

Simply put, for each set of files that make up a given chapter you define
either the $volnum or $chapnum system variable to be Text format (at the
very bottom of the format list), with the value set to a string that
matches the title of the chapter. Then in the master pages, you use either
the <$volnum> or <$chapnum>, as appropriate, in place of the Running H/F 1
system variable in the header or footer layout.

-Fred Ridder

Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 17:21:07 -0500
Subject: Re: Persist a variable to the next file
From: ljsims.ml at gmail.com
To: john.x.posada at us.hsbc.com
CC: framers at lists.frameusers.com

OK, that was about what I thought.

The short answer is, you can't do it with a RunningH/F, as it only picks up
the information in the CURRENT file.

If you want to bring the Chapter title over from a previous file, you'll
have to edit the master page to use a cross-reference back to the file with
the title in it (and set the link color to black so it doesn't look like a
link). Then you have to remember that this will need to be redone every
time you import page layouts to those files.

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 5:14 PM, <john.x.posada at us.hsbc.com> wrote:
      Nothing complicated about it:

      <$paratext[ChapterTitle]>

      I don't think the issue is the composition of the variable...it works
      fine
      when the page has a paragraph tag Chapter Title.  The issue is when
      the
      para text doesn't appear in the FM file, but does in a previous file
      that I
      want to carry forward.

            john.x.posada at us.hsbc.com

       Protect our environment - please only print this if you have
       to!

      |------------>
      | From:      |
      |------------>

        |Lin Sims <ljsims.ml at gmail.com>

      |------------>
      | To:        |
      |------------>

        |John X Posada/HBUS/HSBC at HSBC02

      |------------>
      | Cc:        |
      |------------>

        |Frame Users <framers at lists.frameusers.com>

      |------------>
      | Date:      |
      |------------>

      |------------>
      |------------>

        |Re: Persist a variable to the next file

      Can you copy & paste the code you have in your variable and send it
      to the
      list?

      On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 3:55 PM, <john.x.posada at us.hsbc.com> wrote:
        Good afternoon, guys..

        I have a book that uses the variable "Running H/F 1" in my footer
      that
        picks up Chapter Title.

        The hierarchy is Chapter Title, Heading 1, Heading 2, etc,.

        The problem is, for the sections that follow Chapter Title that
      start
        with
        Heading 1, the variable displays blank.

        The question is, how to I get Chapter Title to persist until
      changed by
        the
        next Chapter Title?

              john.x.posada at us.hsbc.com

         Protect our environment - please only print this if you have
         to!

        errors or omissions.
        SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!
        or visit

      http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/ljsims.ml%40gmail.com

      Lin Sims

      This
      message originated from the Internet. Its originator may or may not
      be who
      they claim to be and the information contained in the message and any
      attachments may or may not be accurate.

--
Lin Sims