Text Inset vs. Variable Question

Jang F.M. Graat jang at jang.nl
Thu Dec 11 10:52:01 PST 2014

Hello Maeli,

The move from MS Word to FrameMaker is good news, but why the choice for unstructured FM ? The type of document you are hoping to create would be ideally created in structured FrameMaker. Using huge numbers of variables in FM is going to make the author's life hell and is not going to make maintenance of the manuals much easier. Text insets in unstructured FrameMaker are extremely limited and may cause the system to break down as it needs to open 100s of files at the same time when updating the main document.

This kind of work is what structured FrameMaker is excellent for. Instead of text insets in the form of an entire flow in a FrameMaker file, you can reuse single words, table cells, paragraphs or anything else to be pulled in. With the attributes available in each element, you can easily link each item to an element in a database (or Excel sheet). In one of my projects, I am building service manuals that have 100s of parts lists, each containing up to 50 parts, each of which is pulled out of a single file that holds all the parts info. Updating this service manual is a matter of pressing one button and takes 5 minutes. And with the built-in XSL engine in FrameMaker, attribute-based filtering and ExtendScript all in the box, i.e. without installing any third party procuct, there has to be a REALLY good reason not to use this product in the way it was intended.

If you HAVE to work with unstructured FrameMaker, possibly because of some outdated regulatory principles, there are still options to automate the work using ExtendScript, but it becomes much harder to program - and harder to check if the results are OK. If you need support in getting the info from MS Word to structured FrameMaker and/or automating the process of pulling info from a spreadsheet into a structured FM document, I can offer those services. The nice thing about using structured FM is that this can be programmed without even having any real content available, so confidentiality issues can easily be avoided here.

Kind regards from Amsterdam

Jang

JANG Communication
Smart Information Design