Text Inset vs. Variable Question

Jang F.M. Graat jang at jang.nl
Mon Dec 15 10:40:51 PST 2014

Hi Maeli,

I understand your situation. Many others are in similar circumstances where higher echelons have the power and lack the insight to really save expenses in the mid- to longer term. The larger the organization, the more penny-wise and pound-foolish they become.

As for the move to structured FM - that might be too big a hurdle for you given the unstructured character of your base materials. I would spend any extra time on learning a couple of basic tricks in ExtendScript instead. If you create sensible variable names for all your variable content and remain consistent in applying them, then creating a CSV file with the variable names plus their current text content is not a difficult thing to do in ExtendScript. Of course I am assuming you have at least FM version 10, as that is the first one for which ExtendScipt became available. Note that there is no need to install anything, as the ExtendScript Toolkit is installed with FM.

All the variables in your document are available in a linked list and it takes milliseconds to walk through that list in a script and dump the names plus current content into a CSV file. Then you can pull that file into Excel to maintain the variables. The last part of the puzzle is creating another script that reads the CSV and populates each variable in your document with the values from the CSV. If you make it slightly more intelligent, you can combine different values (for different machines) for the same variables in the same CSV file, having one column for each particular book, for instance.

The first resource to look for is the FrameMaker 12 Scripting Guide. I am planning to publish ExtendScript info and tutorials on my site www.progframe.com but I first need some time to finish the content for that.

Whatever the road you choose to travel from here, I wish you all the success you will need.

Kind regards from Amsterdam

Jang

JANG Communication
Smart Information Design