Page count even or no

Scott Prentice sp14 at leximation.com
Thu Dec 18 09:50:07 PST 2014

<imho>
It's my assumption that the purpose of a PDF is to represent a printed
book, so I will typically include all the bits that make that PDF into a
book if printed. There are still lots of people who print PDFs (or at
least parts). If someone reading the PDF online has to jump over a blank
page here or there, that seems like a minor inconvenience compared to
the bad pagination when printed double sided. Whether you start with
page "1" or "i" seems less important to me and I can totally see the
point of forgoing the roman numbering, since that's a holdover from when
the frontmatter was generated separate from the body. (I do still prefer
the roman numbering, just because it "feels" better to me though.)

If you're providing PDFs primarily as "online documentation," that seems
like a bad idea to me. PDF is a horrible format to read online. It's
certainly fine in a pinch or if that's all that is provided, but a well
thought out HTML-based (searchable and fully indexed) set of online
docs, is much more efficient.
</imho>

Cheers,

...scott