Wildcard search

Lin Sims ljsims.ml at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 13:09:08 PST 2014

Hi Roger,

Frame10 comes with a sample Extend script that will MIF wash all the files
in a book. I suspect it's included in 11, also. You could try that and see
if the MIF files are kept. If the script deletes them, you can probably
modify it so that it doesn't, and then you'll at least be able to modify
the MIF files. If you're handy with scripts, you can probably adapt the
sample script so that it'll convert MIF files back to FM for you. (That's
just a suspicion on my part; I don't script, so I don't know if it's
possible or easy to do. But it's a thought!)

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Roger Shuttleworth <shuttie27 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi David
>
> Thanks for your reply. Either option would work to some extent, but there
> will be some work involved. Hyphens are intended in certain phrases, e.g.
> state-of-the-art. And I have a lot of files, so saving as MIF would be a
> pain. Pity; I was hoping to do something at the book level, but it seems to
> be not an option.
>
> I could save as Word docs, make the changes, then reopen in FM. (No, I'm
> kidding!)
>
> Roger
>
> On 29/12/2014 4:10 PM, David Artman wrote:
>
>> Roger, do you have many instances where a hyphen *is* intended? If not,
>>   you could brute-force replace all then go back and tune those you
>> didn't want replaced (e.g., if they're, say, part numbers in a handful
>> of tables).
>> Alternately, export to MIF and use any programmer's text editor (e.g.,
>> Notepad++) to do a regular expression search and replace, similar to
>> your Word example. Then open MIF and re-save as FM.
>> HTH;
>> David

Lin Sims