Compatibility of old(ish) Software with Windows 7

Carrie Baker carriebak at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 03:47:22 PST 2014

Hello,

I don't think I am the only person with oldish software.....

I work in a fairly small company, as a single technical writer.

I have FrameMaker 7, and use with Acrobat 7.

I create PDF files for distribution and help files with Webworks ePublisher
Pro version 9.02

I am also using a version of MIF2Go from a few years ago (I do have a newer
one, but once everything worked OK, I did not want to break something with
an upgrade...)

And all of this wonderful technology runs on XP.

Finally our IT manager told me that a new computer has become available for
me.

This new laptop will obviously run Windows 7.

As you might have gathered budget is a bit tight where I work.

So the first question is will the applications I have run on Windows 7?

If not, what do you advise?

I asked the R&D round here whether the help files (2 chm, the rest html) I
provide them with, run properly on our applications, and they claimed that
they do.

Most run in a browser (IE), and the others are made in C++.

If I have to upgrade the applications I use, I would also consider making
further changes so that they will be compatible with today's technology.

Would be interested in hearing any advice about this.

thanks

--
Carrie Baker
carriebak at gmail.com