Cannot insert the infinity symbol and other special character problems

Lise Bible rentagoodbook at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 12:11:54 PST 2014

Fei Min,
I'm on Frame 8, so I have no solutions for Frame 10, but have you tried
using Windows Character Map (under Programs>Accessories>System Tools) as a
workaround? I was able to find and copy the ∞ symbol from there.
Not a terribly elegant solution, but an alternative to copy/paste from
Word...
-Lise

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Fei Min Lorente
<FeiMin.Lorente at onsemi.com>wrote:

>  I’m working in FrameMaker 10 on Windows 7 and I cannot insert the
> infinity symbol. According to the FrameMaker character set documentation,
> it is Unicode 221E, but perhaps all that information is obsolete now. In
> any case, I tried holding down Alt while I pressed +221e, and all I got was
> the Edit menu. I can’t find a keyboard shortcut for it. I resorted to
> getting the symbol in Word and copying and pasting it into FrameMaker, but
> seriously, is that what I have to do? Or do I have to create an equation
> and insert the symbol?
>

> My colleague is also working in FrameMaker 10 on Windows 7 and she can’t
> use the keyboard shortcuts (such as ctrl-q shift-8 to get a TM symbol). She
> gets other characters instead. She’s resorted to copying and pasting from
> Word, and those all work except for the infinity symbol. All the
> information I’ve found on the internet has been for FrameMaker 7 or older.
> Can anyone tell me what to do for FrameMaker 10?
>

> Fei Min Lorente
>
> Senior Technical Communicator
>
> Medical and Wireless Division
>
> feimin.lorente at onsemi.com
>
> +1 519-884-9696 ext. 2229 | Waterloo office
>
> +1 519-831-4931 | mobile
>
> +1 905-631-5724 | fax
>
> www.onsemi.com

> or visit
> http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/rentagoodbook%40gmail.com

*Save the earth.* It's the only planet with chocolate.