Compatibility of old(ish) Software with Windows 7

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Thu Feb 20 11:25:35 PST 2014

Well, your experience does not generalize for everybody though ... most people do not use old programs that don't work in 64-bit installations of Windows 7.

On a 32-bit Windows OS installation, having more than 4GB is, of course, wasted memory. Since it would never be accessed regardless of need.

For me, the only issues I encountered was finding some drivers for some 10 to 15 year old hardware (like a slide scanner), and in most cases, I have alternatives now.

And, today, most new systems (like laptops) provide or have 64-bit versions available ... and the _standard_ memory available is sometimes 8GB (for powerful laptops, for example) and Windows 64-bit is standard on them as a consequence.